Friday, January 8, 2010

One day you will look back and you'll see...

Since we've just celebrated another start of the year, I am going to attempt to make New Year's resolutions, although if there's something I want to accomplish, I usually do it during the year.

Before I do that though, to be glib, 2009 was a really eventful year.

I graduated from medical school. Pretty important.
I matched into an Otolaryngology residency. Not just any Otolaryngology program, the perfect Otolaryngology program for me.
I started my general surgery internship, and was immediately taken back to the bottom of the totem pole. I learned that I know shit from shit.
My four year relationship with the first person I ever loved ended. And I survived.
I became a Mac person.
I saw U2 in concert.
I made friends with a rockstar.
I made my first trip to Asia (Japan/Taipei).
I became a first time homeowner.

I'm sure other things happened, but those are the only things that are really standing out right now.

2010 is going to be just as eventful as I will actually start my ENT training which is gonna fucking be hard. Like, I'm trying to take advantage of the easier rotations I have now because come July, I'm gonna get rocked. I'm excited though because I am so tired of general surgery. I do not see the appeal of ostomies and rectals and decubitus ulcers. It makes me want to vomit.

Everytime I make one of these lists, I always go back to a list I made my first year of medical school of things I hope to accomplish in my life. Every year I come no closer to achieving any of those things. One day though, you just have to keep on believing that there will be time and means to accomplish your goals. This kind of goes with the new MTV show, "The Buried Life" which is about four guys who set out to accomplish items on their bucket lists. I will be watching this show because I like the premise and because the four guys are fuckhot.

1. Kiss a rockstar.
2. Live in New York City.
3. Spending a few months loafing around Europe.
4. Sit on Centre Court at Wimbledon. Also attend Super Bowl, World Cup and Olympics.
5. Be on TV or in a movie.
6. Write a book.
7. Travel to each one of the 50 states.
8. Do something completely unexpected and non-calculated. Something that no one expects me to do.
9. Make a difference.
10. Go to Coachella.


So the only one I actually accomplished during medical school was #5 be on TV. I was on E! News briefly once when they interviewed people at the Paley Festival.

My New Year's resolutions this year are:

Kiss someone new this year.
Reconnect with old friends. Deepen the friendships that I already have.
Be motivated to study. (See how it doesn't say: study more)
Travel somewhere new.
Learn how to actually be a surgeon.
Avoid dramah. It's hard and out of my hands, I know.
Go to as many concerts as financially possible.
Take care of myself.

A lot of my friends have been so supportive this year, and I'm very thankful for them and everything they've done for me. I hope that nothing ever happens to them that makes them need me the way I've needed them, but they should know that I will be there for them no matter what.

I think all these resolutions are definitely attainable, especially since it took me about 23 minutes into the new year to accomplish the first one. Holla.

No comments:

Post a Comment