Sunday, May 3, 2009

Potpourri/Si se puede!




Yesterday I saw the Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, starring the effervescent Matthew McConaughey (read in sarcastic tone) and Jennifer Garner. I actually really liked this movie, the critics totally panned it saying that the leads had no chemistry and that it was saccharine and lame, but you know what? In these trying times, you kind of just want the asshole douchebag guy to end up with his smart, witty first love because he realizes that she is good enough that he is willing to change his caddish ways.

Plus, you should never believe anything Ben Lyons says, I'm pretty sure he's public enemy #1. Last week, he literally referred to Seth Rogen as "Bro-gen." Buddy, you are not bros. You work in journalism, he has to talk to you out of obligation. Also, the definition of "bros" does not include you pleasuring yourself to pictures of the new lighter version of him.

Anyway, GOGP had a great soundtrack because all flashback movies allow the best music to be played. Some highlights:

Get Down Tonight by KC and Sunshine Band
Let's Groove by Earth Wind and Fire
Nothin' But A Good Time by Poison (my second favorite Poison song of all time!)
I Hate Myself for Loving You by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
6 Underground by the Sneaker Pimps (which forever reminds me of Val Kilmer's the Saint)
I try by Macy Gray
Time after Time by Cyndi Lauper (played during an especially funny scene with Emma Stone)
Holding Back the Years by Simply Red (how fucking ecstatic was I to hear this...it is still so relevant and awesome that we're still hearing this song in a new movie in 2009)

I'm totally hoping to not pigeon hole myself in the movie soundtrack blog category, but there have just been some great soundtracks out there. If you want that, go to ReelSoundtrack for a comprehensive music/movie blog.

Pros:
-Emma Stone, who I might be obsessed with now; Jules from Superbad! Come on, she's awesome. Her comic relief made this movie.
-Michael Douglas, somehow they unearthed Mr. Douglas for the role as Connor's legendary badass uncle Wayne, and he was perfect. It's that gravelly voice of his, he's a silver fox.
-Christa B. Allen, who played young JGarn in 13 going on 30 (another great soundtrack), is totally back playing young Jennifer Garner in this movie. Awesome, kudos to you, casting director.
-The rest of the cast was great, Jennifer Garner is as always, perfect with those cheekbones and those pouty lips; Breckin Meyer and Lacey Chabert who are apparently ageless, Camille Guaty (who if you are a Disney Channel Original Movie geek like I am, you will recognize as the lead in Gotta Kick it Up! Si se puede, indeed.)

Cons: Matthew McConaughey. I don't find him charming ever, but I actually didn't want to beat him up while watching this movie. I'm still putting him on the con side though.

--Jack Kemp died. He was the quarterback for the Buffalo Bills in the mid-sixties before there ever was a united AFC/NFC version of the NFL. After playing pro ball for many years, he served as Congressman in Buffalo for 18 years. Of course, he was then Bob Dole's running mate in the 1996 presidential election. This is relevant to me because Jack Kemp spoke at my sister's graduation from college at USC. So yes, it goes without saying, he was a member of the GOP.

--I forgot to mention this last week, but Bea Arthur passed. Now, she wasn't my favorite Golden Girl (that would be Sophia; Dorothy was supposed to be the reasonable one, but she kept Stan around and he bugged me to no avail), but she made that show. And that show made my youth. I'm sure this has been said by many a blogger, but thank you for being a friend, Bea.

--Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao = badass. He reminds me of a young Barry Bernabe.

--If you haven't already, read McBrandon's post on HydroxyCut. Jon Marshall, resident physician belongs at Tool Academy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link! I had no idea Jack Kemp played pro ball. Why God, why him, why not Bob Dole?! Is he still alive?

    Nice leopard print banner.

    ReplyDelete